Developed by experts from institutions across England and University of the Arts London (UAL), this programme develops the knowledge, skills and understanding needed to progress to degree-level study in art and design, or into employment.
It has been designed to create conditions where an interest in the visual arts can be explored and developed and creativity tested.
The programme is characterised by experimental and experiential learning, relying on the application of manual skills while valuing the accidental and disruptive results that can occur.
The qualification is accredited by the highly-regarded University of the Arts London (UAL). Among the benefits, students have the opportunity to have their work shortlisted to appear at the annual UAL awarding body exhibition at Chelsea College of Art.
You study units of work over the two years:
• introduction to visual language in art and design
• introduction to research skills in art and design
• introduction to critical and contextual awareness in art and design
• introduction to materials, processes and technical skills
• an integrated approach to 2D problem solving
• an integrated approach to 3D problem solving
• an integrated approach to time-based problem solving
• developing an Art and Design project
• art and design characteristics and context
• preparation for progression in art and design
• engaging with an audience in art and design
• art and Design proposal and realisation
In addition you will develop your English and maths skills as well as your entrepreneurial skills through live projects and enterprise activities.
You will gain:
• a critical and contextual awareness of different perspectives and approaches within art, design and related subjects of study or work
• skills in researching, analysing and evaluating relevant information and ideas in order to develop creative solutions
• an ability to adapt and safely use appropriate and practical methods and skills for creative production
• the ability to solve complex problems through the application of art, design or related practical, theoretical and technical understanding
• evaluative and reflective skills that will help you to take responsibility for your own learning, development and decision making
• responsibility for researching, planning and time management and opportunities to access progression opportunities
• practical 2D and 3D skills through research and design development
• planning and time management skills
• evaluative skills when reviewing personal work
• self-motivation - work independently inside and outside of college, work as part of a group and be able to present ideas to others.
By the end of the course you will have benefited from a valuable insight into progression opportunities open to you.
5 or more GCSEs grade A*-C, preferably including English language and maths, or a national award in art and design, or first diploma in art and design at merit or above, plus GCSE grade C or above or Functional Skills at Level 2 in English and maths
Your offer is also subject to a successful interview when we will expect to see a portfolio of art, design or craft work
All students have their literacy and numeracy needs supported within the programme.
On successful completion you will have the skills, knowledge and a portfolio of work to enable you to progress to university, or begin your career in the creative industries. Our students have gone on to study creative programmes at leading arts institutions across the UK, and have forged successful careers in product design, architecture, photography, fashion, film, graphics, textiles and the visual arts.
Practical work includes simulated and live briefs and course related visits. You need to be able to work independently and you are required to carry out approximately 15 hours of homework a week.
The fee for international students for the 2016 entrance is £6,300 per year.
Start Date :
Monday 10 September 2018
End Date :
Monday 29 June 2020
| Kings Road, Reading|
Please note - Fees may be subject to change
WOULD YOU LIKE TO APPLY FOR THIS COURSE? PLEASE ENTER YOUR DETAILS BELOW TO RECEIVE AN APPLICATION FORM TO YOUR EMAIL: